26 May 2009

Determining costs


These bananas are 58 cents/ lb at WalMart. Our small-town grocery store sells them for 69 cents/ lb.

Even though we are cutting as many costs as possible, I still buy bananas from our local grocer. In fact, I do most of our shopping there using the sale flyer, even though we sometimes pay more for sale items than we would at WalMart or Kroger. To me, the extra few cents is worth some insurance that our grocery store will stay in business despite serious competition from the larger groceries in other towns very near to us.

It leads me to wonder how others determine costs of items. What makes something worth paying a bit more?

1 comment:

  1. I agree and think that there are undefinables to this calculation. Which, let's remember, is (in this case) 11 cents a pound.

    For instance, what about your time? It takes longer to go further, longer to get back, longer to go THROUGH the store, longer to find a place to park in a big busy parking lot (my further away, cheaper store has a parking lot from hell -- there is NEVER a free space there!)...

    Then, peace of mind? If the trip to the cheaper store requires more of a disruption in your day, it might not be worth it.

    I think there has to be a balance. Saving money is one of our tasks, but there are others. Some are more important. If 11 or 22 cents got you home in time to read to your child or work on a quilt, it was worth it!

    That's my 2 cents on that! :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is meant to be an encouraging place. Please use kindness and consideration when leaving your comment.
Also, this blog will remain fairly anonymous. If you recognize me, my family members, or my photos from another place, please honor this request for anonymity. Comments that reveal identity will likely be deleted, even if full of love! :)

Blessings to you and yours!