16 July 2009

Working on the house

We've been working on the house this summer. A new foundation was started the second week of June and finished the second week of July. My husband is doing the structural things and I've been finding beautiful furnishings at Goodwill and garage sales and all sorts of places! I've been scarce around here this last month, but there's much to share!
In the meantime -- anyone know how to safely clean Victorian fireplace tiles with some significant soot damage without removing them?

3 comments:

  1. Your tiles are just lovely! Tiles shouldn't be hurt by any amount of cleaning -- they're tiles! I would start with a mild solution of detergent and a soft rag, and then work my way up to stronger means as needed. But they have been fired and are pretty hard, right?

    Thanks for your enthusiasm at LMLD...we love having you!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I am using my Deirdre's computer, but it's Leila! It's one daughter or another around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Leila! I was wondering if I needed to use ammonia or something. From what I've ascertained through research, I think they have a lead-based glaze on them. I hope they'll be ok. There apparently was a fire (outside of the actual firepace) at some time and some of them are pretty discolored.

    And I LOVE LMLD! It's my pleasure to read it!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is meant to be an encouraging place. Please use kindness and consideration when leaving your comment.
Also, this blog will remain fairly anonymous. If you recognize me, my family members, or my photos from another place, please honor this request for anonymity. Comments that reveal identity will likely be deleted, even if full of love! :)

Blessings to you and yours!